Saturday, April 16, 2005

*-[CTAATGT]`+
Recode, if you will, the coding strand of DNA, assuming my title to be the template strand and I am pretty sure you'll find out why I cried buckets tonight.

I spotted the DVD in Ale's rack and recalled having heard a little here and there about it. (apparantly my Dad has seen it but didn't remember seeing it until half way through.) I know Rachel watched it, and I wasn't at all surprised to see Gore Vidal's name amongst the actors. I settled back a little sleepy and decided this was a good time as any to watch a movie and just drift off.

But that is exactly what didn't happen. I sat entralled for the whole length of the movie, and I can firmly attest that my heart rate shot sky high when they tested Vincent with the IV unit. And anyone who has watched this movie will know when I cried like I've never cried in front of a movie before.

Truthfully, I can say that I've been as steely as any poikilothermic reptile in even the most mushy, teary, saddening, terrifying and upsetting scenes a movie can have. I yawned in titanic when Leo drifted off the ice, and nodded in sympathy as that brave old guy killed himself by cutting the rope to his safety in order to save his friends in 'The day after tomorrow'. But this? This was unlike anything I'd ever seen. It was neither terrifying nor upsetting, it was evocative of emotion, but nothing stereotype flowed through my veins as I sat and unashamedly let the tears run. The poetry of the story ebbed and flowed, the science reeled it in and the passion threw it to pieces. What is this movie about? I think the answer is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. The essence of humanity has never been so revealingly dressed in poetry.

The idea of imperfection has never been so appealing. The stench of perfection has never been so detested. I will never know why Jerome Morrow did what he did... because he was second best and decided he wanted all or nothing? Because deep down inside he wanted an invalid to have a chance but was too proud to admit it?

I have to admit that I always liked Jerome better than Vincent, although they were both Ethan. And it'll be a long time before I have something proper to say about a movie that says everything. I think I'm still a little stunned.

All I can say is... Imperfection is really Beautiful.

Oyasumi~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home