Friday, April 01, 2005

*-[The Auction]`+
A mere slave, who had known no other life. A girl who smiled as often as moons were blue. Life was ephemeral, there was nothing after to look forward to. I worked as slaves worked, knowing no better, complaining only when I could get away with it. They treated me badly, and I knew it. But I couldn't compare to what I didn't know. I could only imagine what better lives there were out there to be lived. I had no hope. Dashed hopes were more painful than no hope, I told myself. And my heart hardened as the years passed.


One day was enough to change everything, though. And that day was the most frightening yet liberating experience of my life. When I had finished my duties that day, I inched my way back to the dreary sleeping quarters I had been alotted. I thought I was hallucinating when he took me by the hand and told me that my time had come. That sinister voice. My owner. The chains came back on and the careful guardedness that they had watched me with intensified. As if I could run away in this state. haha. Funny one, guys.


And something clicked on the way. Something disconcerting that made my stomach churn. It was slave trading season. New owners. I hated them. I felt used, like an appliance coming to the end of it's lifespan. And although I felt nothing, the tears began to stream down my face. Why are you crying? It's not like you care.. your life is worthless, meaningless. You're a slave.


Turns out it was for personal profit. He who owned me also auctioned me. And he auctioned me ruthlessly. Bargaining started low. and it didn't get very high at all. The measly amount they were willing to pay for an already half dead girl, mostly devoid of emotion. A hardened girl, small and frail, but with enough venom to bite and bite hard. I hissed.


The discussion became more open. How vicious I looked. How glazed my eyes were, and was I on drugs? They bargained harder. I watched the sweat beads on a fat man's face as he held up his auction number, unsure if he'd made the right choice. They didn't want me. If they did, it was only because they'd played a game of roulette and lost. My owner, evil personified became more agitated by the minute. I wasn't worth all this discussion he had said, and had belted me in the back of my knees. I knelt, and hated him.


"Enough!" He roared. "She's just a little twat! I might as well kill her off and save all your stingy faces from paying any more than you don't want to!" I used to think him queer. As I grew up I learnt that it was more of a fervent madness that couldn't leave him. It had a stench that reeked and I hated him even more than ever. Then I saw the flash of silver that was unmistakable. I closed my eyes. I was so sure he'd kill me, he was already stark raving mad anyway. As the cold blade pressed against the back of my neck, my breathing got louder and more erratic. But I resolved to die silent. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of sensing my fear, although I'm not sure he didn't already know.


That was it. That was when He stood up from amongst the crowd, my very own savior. A very inconspicuous figure He was at first but now His presence filled the room. The wrath seethed from Him as He stood upright in his chair and said loudly, firmly and with great purpose, "Nothing they offer can satisfy you even though she is nothing to you! I know what you want and you can have it. You crave my blood, my death, and you will trade me that for this girl!"


"Done!" Lucifer was excited. The contract he carried with him always had finally proved useful. Glee broke out as he pushed his slave away and handed the blade to this man, who promptly and unflinchingly signed the paper in blood. His hand bled, and as he slowly reached to stop the oozing, viscous blood, my owner looked up with hungry eyes to say, "The time and place of death has been ordained by yourself, you fool. I'll see you there." And he cackled. Funny how my owner looked so much smaller and so much more bent next to this man, who had given so much for so little. Funny how there was a strange glow of warmth in this man's eyes that wasn't a strange madness that I had known all these years.


"ahh, take her, the little wench!" And my ex-owner gave me a spiteful look before leaving, clutching his precious contract and hurrying away. I looked down, and to my own surprise found my tears dropping like beads to the ground. What shocked me further was that there was another set of teardrops nearby, and as this great man kneeled next to me I felt so small, and so unworthy. His hands were rough from work, but His touch was gentle. I shivered as he approached me, unused to such attention. And as He slowly grasped the chains with both hands, I caught a glimpse of His strength. The chains snapped without complaint. He gathered me up in His arms and I broke, from all those years of meaningless living, from the hatred I held inside me, twisting and squirming. I turned into Him and began to cry, for the first time, with real emotion. There was a very strange sense of release in my heart and I didn't know what to think- this was all so new. He kissed me on my forehead, and I realised He had paid the highest price for me out of love. Love? It really did exist. And I, who had always been wary, trusted a total stranger with my life in an instant as he said to me, "hey kiddo, let's go home."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home