Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Birth of a Phoenix


A letter came in the mail today. I looked over the nicely crafted envelope and turned it over, ready to slit the top open. The words I found on the back moved me.


p.s. Her name is Marian.
Like Marian from Robin Hood.
Like Marian, she wasn't free to fly but she had a heart that rang true.
So I send her to you.


The handwriting I recognised. Slim, delicate, yet wild with a hint of daring. And the envelope I slit.


Inside I found the words of a friend, a mentor, and also, as expected, Marian. Marian was a red paper crane, glistening metallic, full of fire, and in her heart, a prayer written from a dear friend.


You may replace the gold crane and open her up, she wrote. Marian was the red lady of 2007- a new reminder of an old friend. The gold canary of 2006 was well loved, but one learns never to live on yesterday's manna. I replaced the cranes with care, and both the warmth of feeling and the joy of a dear friend came over me. As I silently thanked God for Su, I opened up to read the words of 2006 she had written for me.


I've certainly moved on to newer things, and new blood was certainly in order to wash out the fadings of things past. Although it is already May, the promise of 2007 has made an appearance to me today. I've found comfort in things everlasting. The humanist and/or fatalist must die to make room for the Realist: Man responding to God's timing.


For me to live is Christ, to die is gain? Then, I have no choice- the middle ground of existing is a painful and unnecessary one. My prayer this year is one for fire. Dear Lord, that you may increase and I decrease. That even though we cannot yet fly, our hearts are true and free to serve you where you will. Watch this birth by fire- out of the coals will step our golden-red phoenix.


To Su: all my love and more of His.


White Washed. for things to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home