Monday, May 02, 2005

*-[Jogging]`+
Jogging Hurts. But I like it. I like hearing myself breathe, I like the constancy of my feet tapping one in front of the other. It reminds me that some things in life don't change much at all, and I think I do need that comfort. Things have changed so much since I've come to Perth and I still look back to see where I've come from. My perspective's changed so much, my heart is still sore from leaving, even after one year of being in Perth. Perhaps I've become resigned to the fact that I may never find 'home' again. Some days I think that I am home- I know my parents want me to think of this as home, but I may never truly find a 'home' till I go back to the place I came from. And that's not even on earth.



I don't know why I run. There are so many other things a girl could do- prefer to do, really. I think I run because it causes me to stop thinking about reality for half an hour. All I think about is that I can't make it one more step, and then I think I can. It's a constant battle of pushing myself harder than I did the last time, a battle that remains more in the will than in the physical. And it's egocentric as well. All I think of as I run is me. Whether I can take another step, how fast I can go, whether it hurts me too much and how far I've run from home. And it's a roller coaster ride. As soon as I turn the bend onto Kirk Rd, I know I've made the easy 1/3 of the way. As the straight road goes up and down, as it merges into Gilbertson, I squint and look for the blue bus stop. A sight for sore eyes. That is where I turn into Williamson and finish the last 1/3 of the journey. A generally uneventful and not very scenic route, but it's familiarity comforts me. At least I know where I am. I see people walking dogs. I jog past them like they're part of the picture. Some trees dangle their leaves low and brush my head. The encouragement is nice. The best is when there's a wind blowing at you and you're going downhill. Almost effortless. The sun gets in your eyes, and the wind parches your face. You feel your nose turn cold. And you laugh, because when it's time to turn in to the park, you slow down and the heat of your muscles respiring catches up to you. The warmth is reward enough for what you've accomplished. You check your watch and decide to take it easy for a while. You've got time.


Then there are days when I jog too near sunset. I enjoy the brilliant colors and the regularity of my breath reminds me how cold it is and how I should hurry back before dark. The impending darkness is a great inspiration to move faster. The scenery is gone and the dissapearing light tells you the show's over. I once stopped mid-track in school to watch a manificent sunset, and had two elderly professors kindly comment on the wonderful picture. I remember the little prince liked sunsets too. I love that book as much as ever. I suppose some things don't change, and I'm glad.


Been having a bout of small ups and downs lately. Nothing to account for my strange behaviour but my own inconsistent self. I guess it's all on the inside but I am terribly mao dun about some things. I just can't seem to agree on them at all. I don't see why I shouldn't just go all out and be nice to people! I mean, so they don't appreciate it but that isn't any reason to stop. I've been annoyed about this for weeks on the end but it only just came out and now I'm in a fix. confound it all.


Nevertheless there's school tomorrow and strange as it may sound I like uni life and so I shall thoroughly enjoy myself tomorrow. Good Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home